Open Discussions about the VoyeurWeb.com site
I've been on here for a few years and have enjoyed it very much. This is the first site that I trusted. I use to work in IT for many years and know what a pain in the ass it is to recover from a crash. If IGOR had full access to the network and servers and knew what he was doing it may take quite a while before this site returns. I have faith and hope that VW returns soon.
I don't think the issue most of us have now has anything to do with what Igor may or may not have done, or even the length of time it's taking to get the site back on line. What's troubling most of us (as I see it) is the way we are being mislead, or even deliberately misinformed about what's going on. This situation has caused a major loss of confidence in VW's trustworthiness. We have seen many commitments made, and then not delivered on...we have seen strange requests and statements made by VW's representatives that are never adequately explained, and we've seen a complete disaster in the way this crisis has been handled by the PR department which leaves many of us wondering if there is anyone with any common sense left. We would all like to see the site return, but I don't think many of us have any faith or hope left to give...
Superguy wrote:
cdl2 wrote:I'm hanging on......don't think they'd go to this much work if they weren't cumming back

Really? So far there's no evidence of any work.
Which is the point of my overly-long (as usual) post elsewhere. If I were to walk in here from the outside, no knowledge of these people or any history of the site, who evidence can I see that anything has been done.

1 home page and 1 phpBB system. The page is maybe 5-10 min to create and upload. Seaching for the image was probably the hard part. The BB system comes along with the site setup from your hosting company and takes only a few minutes to activate. 5 minutes more to create a couple of emails.

Add the time it took me to sign up for the hosting account and do any DNS changes needed and we are maybe up to 20-25 minutes.

The site has been down for 19 days. We have been told there are programmers (meaning 2 or more) working 14 hour days. Lets be pessimistic and say they lost the first 5 days and so only have 14 days of coding. That is 14 x 14 x 2 = 392 hours of coding.

Surely there can be SOMETHING to show for that.
zardoz1962 wrote:
Superguy wrote:
cdl2 wrote:I'm hanging on......don't think they'd go to this much work if they weren't cumming back

Really? So far there's no evidence of any work.
Which is the point of my overly-long (as usual) post elsewhere. If I were to walk in here from the outside, no knowledge of these people or any history of the site, who evidence can I see that anything has been done.

1 home page and 1 phpBB system. The page is maybe 5-10 min to create and upload. Seaching for the image was probably the hard part. The BB system comes along with the site setup from your hosting company and takes only a few minutes to activate. 5 minutes more to create a couple of emails.

Add the time it took me to sign up for the hosting account and do any DNS changes needed and we are maybe up to 20-25 minutes.

The site has been down for 19 days. We have been told there are programmers (meaning 2 or more) working 14 hour days. Lets be pessimistic and say they lost the first 5 days and so only have 14 days of coding. That is 14 x 14 x 2 = 392 hours of coding.

It's easy to put up a new site. That's what we are on, plain vanilla phpBB, so you got what you want given your time frame. However, restoring an old site, one that uses multiple domains, years of hacks, takes a long time, especially when its been sabotaged. There has been plenty of discussion, Ghost mentioned some updates, Katherine gave an update.

Just because one can run a script from C panel does not make one knowledgeable about fixing damaged websites. We have a few 'experts' floating around here using their incredible knowledge to just misinform others.. Real experts feel sympathy and want to send good vibs because we have been there.

This is not one website, nor one server. It could be run on one server, but would have stability problems. I can see getting everything on the software side 'fixed' and still have to work out the load issues. You really don't know till you bring it all up. I will be impressed if it's up by Sunday. Doing the staged rollout on features is probably shortening the restoration timeline.

I've always been fascinated by the architecture of the VW sites. As some have mentioned in the past it was old, somewhat cranky, because it had been pieced together over years with the baling wire and duct tape everywhere. Kind of made it a little retro. Using the archive to unload the massive resource hog with years of all the sites, or was it serving up from those domains using funbags.com to re-direct the traffic . Just amazing stuff. Managing video is a pain, I think of the mix of formats on homeclips.com, funbags.com yeah the staff has their work cut out for them. I'm just glad it's not my problem. I have several subscriptions, not bothered at all. All the nutty conspiracy theories, perverts calling other perverts, perverts (I know we just like looking at pictures, taking them, "nug, nug, wink, wink, know what I mean?!" a la Monty Python) Research on the owner(s) past. Next we will get a connection to the Kennedy assassinations, the real reason reasons why the Euro crashed and where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. How to properly fold a tin foil hat
Your not being BS'd on the technical side, I know it's easy to be misled by some who claim to know, negativity gives away the source :roll:
mastersam wrote:
zardoz1962 wrote: Which is the point of my overly-long (as usual) post elsewhere. If I were to walk in here from the outside, no knowledge of these people or any history of the site, who evidence can I see that anything has been done.

It's easy to put up a new site. That's what we are on, plain vanilla phpBB, so you got what you want given your time frame. However, restoring an old site, one that uses multiple domains, years of hacks, takes a long time, especially when its been sabotaged. There has been plenty of discussion, Ghost mentioned some updates, Katherine gave an update.

Just because one can run a script from C panel does not make one knowledgeable about fixing damaged websites. We have a few 'experts' floating around here using their incredible knowledge to just misinform others.. Real experts feel sympathy and want to send good vibs because we have been there.

This is not one website, nor one server. It could be run on one server, but would have stability problems. I can see getting everything on the software side 'fixed' and still have to work out the load issues. You really don't know till you bring it all up. I will be impressed if it's up by Sunday. Doing the staged rollout on features is probably shortening the restoration timeline.

I've always been fascinated by the architecture of the VW sites. As some have mentioned in the past it was old, somewhat cranky, because it had been pieced together over years with the baling wire and duct tape everywhere. Kind of made it a little retro. Using the archive to unload the massive resource hog with years of all the sites, or was it serving up from those domains using funbags.com to re-direct the traffic . Just amazing stuff. Managing video is a pain, I think of the mix of formats on homeclips.com, funbags.com yeah the staff has their work cut out for them. I'm just glad it's not my problem. I have several subscriptions, not bothered at all. All the nutty conspiracy theories, perverts calling other perverts, perverts (I know we just like looking at pictures, taking them, "nug, nug, wink, wink, know what I mean?!" a la Monty Python) Research on the owner(s) past. Next we will get a connection to the Kennedy assassinations, the real reason reasons why the Euro crashed and where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. How to properly fold a tin foil hat
Your not being BS'd on the technical side, I know it's easy to be misled by some who claim to know, negativity gives away the source :roll:
My point is that from the way VW talks, major parts of their codebase is destroyed, corrupted, or otherwise unusable and they have to start over. If this is true, they are not looking at 1 week or two weeks of programming, they are looking at months and months. A good programmer, building from scratch can do about 100 lines of code in a day. PHP is a bit wordy and much of that time is spent designing and testing, not coding, so they should be faster. Even with the old code as a model though, I'd say they could at best reach 500 lines a day, maybe a bit more, probably less.

I've seen several places the number tossed around that the VW code base is 1,000,000 lines. That means a minimum of 2000 programmer-days to recreate it all. Even recreating one-fifth of that with a team of 10 coders (and we have no reason to think the team is that large) this is over a month of coding, clearly beyond the timeframes given.

Much of what I hear coming out of VW is in that line - overpromises of what can be delivered or underestimates of what it will take to deliver.

You can not maintain credibility without showing some kind of results. We are three weeks into this and we have absolutely no evidence that anything is being done. Think about it. If VW was a scam and their sole goal was to keep stringing us along for as many days as they can, how would they do it? Keep promising new deadlines 1-2 weeks away, close enough to keep us looking, long enough to stretch it out. Revise deadlines as late as possible. Distract us with talks of parties and the PR Director's tits and other unrelated stuff. Place blame on other parties and incite the community against them. Describe the great content we will have. Do anything needed to avoid actually having to show a working site, model, image, screen capture, demo, or template.

Now I am not saying this is proof that VW is a scam. I am however saying that everything VW has done is consistent with a scam. If they want to be believed, they need to do at least one thing not consistent with a scam.

Three deadlines have been missed and each time no explanation or comment was given until a day or days afterwards. Take a look at the alexa statistics and google listings and you will see your audience is drifting away. Take a look at the websites similar to VW (and not just VC) and see how many of your contributors are starting to show up there. What do you think they decided about VW that made them take that step?

Friday Ghost proposed they could get something up and running in a "few days" or the whole thing in 2 weeks, but not a comment has been made about the choice made or progress accomplished since. There needs to be daily updates if we are to believe you are not just blowing smoke up our ass.

Getting something quick beats getting everything slow any day of the week. There has been plenty of time to get something done quick IF the decision has been made to do so. Either the management is shooting for too much too soon or they are doing nothing. We need to see some evidence that they are serious about this in the form of a working site, no matter how primitive or limited.

This does not have to be public. There must be a working alpha around here somewhere. Pick one or two people in the community that VW feels they can trust and show it to them. DJ/LJ and I may disagree about how serious VW is to get going, but if they tell me they have seen a working site, I'll believe them and so will a lot of others. Just pick a couple of the people who are well-known, long-time community members and contributors and show something to them. That is all that needs to happen.

Trust works for a week or two, but if we can not have some verification we have to assume this is all bull.
We were members of RC for about 10 years. I logged into that site almost every day for some period of time. It was comfortable, I felt like I knew people there, we liked the tone of people's comments when we posted pictures. We are holding onto a thread of hope, but it still seems to me like there is a BUNCH of shady dealings going on on both sides. We visit our "friends" over there, but only because "over there" is a usable site and "over here" is a mess. Our life will not be knocked out of alignment with the stars if this fails, but we will be a little sad. Of course we have been a little sad for weeks now.
Jim & Gina aka "Last Mango"
Oh get real. It would be VERY simple to put up a basic site with limited content while the main site is re-created from scratch in the background. Who are you kidding?

They are just stringing people along, while they scramble with limited resources because most of their staff defected when this url was hijacked by its present "owners".

Given all the info that has come out in the past month, most of which is easily verifyable (and some of it can never be truly verified, but should at least provide a huge amount of suspicion) who'd be dumb enough to ever trust these guys with your credit card numbers ever again?

Oh, and for those that say, "but the billing will be handled by a neutral third party" - that may be true but seeing how VW is fond of shell companies, how do you know that the "neutral 3rd party" isn't just another one of their shell companies??
Good question... day after day I keep hoping I'll see some concrete evidence of VW returning. I hoped that would happen back on June 17, June 20, June 24, and today. While I hope to see VW return, I'm totally convinced that they are amateurs, hiring amateurs, and if they come back that the site will experience glitches, downtime, broken parts, etc. If this was a professional site, years ago they would have instituted internal controls with varying levels of security to avoid ever letting one guy or a team bring the site down. As for the rebuilding effort, they should have analyzed the situation, decided whether to "restore" or "rebuild" the site and then determined the requirements and tasks, resources, time involved to do each, doubled the time line, and told us all that the site was going to be rebuilt and not be back online until September 15, 2012 to allow for testing, fixing, testing, fixing, testing, fixing. And then they would have delivered the new site at 12:01 a.m. on September 15, 2012 and everyone here wold have said "Job well done!" As it is, the VW team has no credibility, pissed almost everyone off except the most forgiving, and communicated as though they are a team of morons looking for a place to squat. I keep coming back to check-in but I've seen - no - zero- nada - tangible evidence that they have the capability to deliver anything , as of this point today. It also tells me that they have been spending their earnings as fast as the money has been coming in or they would have had retained earnings and a contingency fund just in case the data center got flooded, hit by a tornado, or washed out to sea in a hurricane. Amateurs, beer drinking, doped up, morons.

Let me explain urban real estate to clown. Take H[…]

Global Cooling

Last time I saw Clowntoker, he was sporting white […]

MUGA Hat

Clowntoker seems to be stoned earlier in the day t[…]

8th Amendment

I was applauding Elkin's IQ. He was the very firs[…]

"The Coming Ice Age"

It is late April here, and April really is the cru[…]

Walk Like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULk8-DGC7Hs

Eaten by Indigenous Natives