Discuss and interact with contributors and members about Private Shots.
By FastFive
Do we have a "book club" thread anywhere in here?

If not, I hereby declare this the Official VoyeurWeb Forum Book Club!

So... anyone on this board read? Or do we all just enjoy looking at pictures? :D

I don't know about you, but I'm here for the articles. :lol:
By Jess
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!!!!

Best series of books ----- EVER! :D

"Don't Panic!"
By FastFive
Funnily enough, I've never read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

It's actually become a bit of a long-running (going on 2 decades now) joke between myself and my friends. It started when we were teenagers and it seemed like everyone but myself had read the books. No real reason why, I'd just never gotten to them yet. At some point my friend says "just remember, the answer to everything is 42"... so since I now knew the answer, there was no point in reading the book. :lol:

Twenty years later I'm still the only one who hasn't read it.

:idea: Maybe I'll read it when I turn 42? :geek:

I'm also the only one in the group who has not read any of Tolkein's works either. (Or seen the movies, since the books must be read before seeing the films IMO.)

I really should one day... really.
By FastFive
The most recent book I've finished is George R.R. Martin's "A Dance With Dragons" (book 5 in the series 'A Song of Ice and Fire'... commonly known as the Game of Thrones books).

For some reason that I can't really pinpoint, I had a very tough time slogging through this book. I started it at the beginning of this year, and only finished it this summer. Compared to the first 4 books in the series, which I blitzed through (relatively speaking... these books are in the realm of 800 to 1000+ pages each) it just seemed to take me forever to get through.

Part of it was that I had too many other things going on this spring/summer and I never had much of a chance to just sit down and read. It was always a few pages here, a few pages there. GRRM's novels do not lend themselves to this kind of reading. :lol: A few pages at a time, come back to the book a few days or even a week later, have to reread the last few pages just to remember where you are... ugh. :roll:

The scope of the ASOIAF series is so ridiculously large that the amount of jumping around from place to place, character to character (1000+ pages written from the point of view of 18 different characters), kingdom to kingdom just doesn't lend itself to casual reading. To enjoy these books you've got to be into reading them. Normally this isn't an issue for me... this summer it was.

As for the book itself, it's another "in between" book of the series, as was book 4. Books 1 through 3 set everything up in the world GRRM created, establishing an absolutely ton of history, lore, religion, people, dynasties, etc. Books 4 and 5 have thus far been about moving the chess pieces around the board... getting people from one place to another, so they are where they need to be to make things happen to bring about the climax. You can just about feel that beginning to happen in the closing chapters of "A Dance With Dragons"... they appear to be the first steps in what will obviously be a very long uphill battle towards the climax and dénouement of the series.

Would I recommend it? Obviously! :mrgreen:

Of course, you need to read the first 4 books first. They're all utterly brilliant works of fiction... but not for the faint of heart.

These books were actually the first "epic fantasy" novels I'd ever picked up. I've always been a sci-fi / action & adventure or military fiction/non-fiction reader, but I kept hearing how great the ASOIAF series was that I finally picked one up one day at the airport and have been working my way through them ever since. I've also read some other epic fantasy books in the mean time as well... more on those some other time.
By FastFive
Jess wrote:Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!!!!

Best series of books ----- EVER! :D

"Don't Panic!"
Attachments
Google.jpg
Google.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 23990 times
By rockclimber
Two I am reading at the moment....

As voracious a reader as I am, I've slowly transitioned from print to digital, but not quite willingly. Somehow it leaves me wanting the heft of a book in hand....
Attachments
IMG_20140919_000010.jpg
IMG_20140919_000010.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 23975 times
By honora
I haven't had much time to really get into a book (well, for entertainment anyway) but a few months ago I finished "A Woman in Berlin" that was an anonymous 34 year old journalist's personal account of her ordeal once Berlin was bombed by the Russians and their subsequent occupation of the city.

I am about to start reading "Ready Player One" since I've heard a lot about it and I'm really excited about it! I just literally got it today! I see that a movie is in the works too which I think will be pretty interesting.
By rockclimber
Good call Honora,

Ready Player One I looked at not too long ago. I love escape and fantasy and the entire virtual reality concept.

A Woman in Berlin sounds interesting as well. I am rereading The Diary of Anne Frank right now myself and working on a research paper. That sounds very. Interesting.

I've tended to gravitate toward biographies instead of fiction lately with the exception of science fiction. Ready Player is already in my Amazon, I'll have to check out the other......

I started this one too, Kissing Fish, about progressive Methodism . A recommendation from one of my friends I invited to play here.
By rockclimber
Here's a question.....

What one book, or select books, had the most profound influences on your life?

Or said another way, at certain times in our lives a book or books can have tremendous, pivotal influences on our lives.

Not always life altering but maybe just a book that caused you to pause and rethink your life in one aspect or another; even if it is for just a short while. :?:

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

I would say Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People, Sun Yat Tsu The Art of War,
and the best and first and most profound....... Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. Heinlein was incredible. He has since passed but his works are timeless. Stranger opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at life, love, duty, passion and pleasure. I still quote him with some frequency.

So which books have been pivotal for you?

:ugeek:
By FastFive
honora wrote:I haven't had much time to really get into a book (well, for entertainment anyway) but a few months ago I finished "A Woman in Berlin" that was an anonymous 34 year old journalist's personal account of her ordeal once Berlin was bombed by the Russians and their subsequent occupation of the city.
I just looked it up... sounds grim. Yikes.
I am about to start reading "Ready Player One" since I've heard a lot about it and I'm really excited about it! I just literally got it today! I see that a movie is in the works too which I think will be pretty interesting.
I've heard of it... probably through talk about the movie, because I can't think of where else I'd have seen it, unless I saw it while browsing at Chapters one day. Sounds really interesting. Let us know if it's any good. :)
By FastFive
Good question rock... really good. I can't say I've got an answer off-hand for that. I'll have to think it over. :|
By honora
Fast, grim as it was, it was still interesting (in a historical sense) to get a first hand account of a different perspective of that time. Very eye opening to imagine what some other victims went through. She made it but always chose to keep her journal entries anonymous. History is a fascinating subject for me so I'll soak it all up, good and bad.
By Jbe
Rock, I'd have to go with 2 books as having strong influences on my life. One was "Illusions- The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah" by Richard Bach... and the other was "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman.
By DarknLadyJedi
Three good choices there RC, you may also want to look at the Notebooks of Lazarus Long as a Hienlein fan.
By rockclimber
Oh man, DJ, those were so good too! It's been a long time since I read them. I was voraciously devouring Heineken when I was in college. Erm, Heinlein too, (autocorrect) and my red headed girlfriend of course...... :oops:
By FastFive
honora wrote:Fast, grim as it was, it was still interesting (in a historical sense) to get a first hand account of a different perspective of that time. Very eye opening to imagine what some other victims went through. She made it but always chose to keep her journal entries anonymous. History is a fascinating subject for me so I'll soak it all up, good and bad.
Sadly, there's enough grim human history to keep everyone reading for a lifetime. :roll:

Having looked into what the book was about after you mentioned it I'll honestly say there's no way I could read it. I really don't think I could deal with a first-person account of rape. I can't even comfortably deal with it used in fiction... but that's just me.

I've read other biographies and memoirs from other periods of conflict though... mostly Vietnam through to the modern era. There's still quite a few books that I'd like to get to read one day, eventually. Every time I walk through the History section at Chapters I see something else to add to the list.

I've read much more "historical fiction" than actual history though.
By honora
Sadly, there's enough grim human history to keep everyone reading for a lifetime. :roll:

Having looked into what the book was about after you mentioned it I'll honestly say there's no way I could read it. I really don't think I could deal with a first-person account of rape. I can't even comfortably deal with it used in fiction... but that's just me.
I understand, but I will not turn a blind eye to a historical book because bad things happened during that time. I will just skip through a few pages and see if the scene has changed if I feel like the details are too uncomfortable for me (which I remember doing one time during that book). There is much much more to that story than rape though, but again I can understand why some people would not even want to pick it up in the first place. Is it something I would read over again? No. But once I finished it I was left with more knowledge and sympathy for the people that lived there than before I turned the first page.

I am looking into the Game of Thrones books. I finally watched the series earlier this year but of course the books are going to be better.
By FastFive
How far along as you in the TV series? It's catching up to the books pretty quickly... though not following the literary chronology exactly but sometimes the books didn't either. Some of the books are concurrent but were split by geography and characters.
By honora
Fast, I've only finished Season 3 - waiting for Season 4 to come out which I see will be next year! I never owned HBO but I watched on Amazon Video. What was meant to be just an episode here and there over that weekend turned into almost a marathon viewing :lol: I just HAD to see what was going to happen next! It was tempting to get HBO just for Game of Thrones but I decided not to get it and just be patient.
By Thumper
I read the Lord of the Rings series when I was about 10, and that turned me into a pretty voracious reader. I thought the movies were excellent, but nothing compares to having the weight and feel of a book in your hands.

Then I got into Isaac Asimov. His Robots/Empire/Foundation series is written like a "history of the future" and follows multiple generations. I have a natural love of Sci Fi, and Asimov set the gold standard.

Hands down the author who has had the most influence on my writing style is Tom Clancy. The Jack Ryan series is brilliant. I got hooked on Hunt for Red October, and have every one of the Ryan books in hardcover.

(Honourable mention goes to (and I can't believe I'm admitting this in public) Harry Potter :oops: )

As far as influence on my life goes...no question... Yeager. The autobiography of Chuck Yeager. http://rightstuffstore.com/showitem.php?item_id=1 (Is anyone REALLY surprised by this? 8-) )
By FastFive
honora wrote:Fast, I've only finished Season 3 - waiting for Season 4 to come out which I see will be next year! I never owned HBO but I watched on Amazon Video. What was meant to be just an episode here and there over that weekend turned into almost a marathon viewing :lol: I just HAD to see what was going to happen next! It was tempting to get HBO just for Game of Thrones but I decided not to get it and just be patient.
Ok... so you've seen the Red Wedding.

I didn't want to say anything specific in case you hadn't gotten that far yet. I think that some scenes (like the Red Wedding, but there are many others) are actually worth seeing on TV first since the build up and pacing is so perfect that it gives the greatest possible impact. You get an entire dose of "something" (be it dramatic, spectacular, or horrendous) in a 1 hour delivery. It's very visceral.

The books give so much more depth though, that they are definitely worth reading.

Being ahead of the TV series in the books is sometimes frustrating though... there are things that happen, that you know are going to happen, but you keep hoping upon hope that the TV series will do it differently. Then it happens exactly as in the books, and you feel gutted a second time. :roll:

And speaking of the Red Wedding, did you see the "reaction" vids that were posted to YouTube? :lol:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can tell who read the books and who didn't. LOL (It feels so wrong to laugh at their distress... so very wrong.)
By FastFive
Thumper wrote:Then I got into Isaac Asimov. His Robots/Empire/Foundation series is written like a "history of the future" and follows multiple generations. I have a natural love of Sci Fi, and Asimov set the gold standard.
I tried reading Asimov in high school but could never really get into it. I should probably try again someday... a little older now, a little (cough*cough) wiser.

I did read a lot of Arthur C. Clarke back then though... a lot!
Hands down the author who has had the most influence on my writing style is Tom Clancy. The Jack Ryan series is brilliant. I got hooked on Hunt for Red October, and have every one of the Ryan books in hardcover.
Red October was the first Clancy I read. Probably went through it twice in high school. Loved it so much. I didn't get into reading each and every work of his though, but over the years I've been through a few of the Jack Ryan books, and some of his others as well. I can't remember each and every one 'cause those were mostly library books so they're not here next to me to refer to... but I do own Rainbow Six, which definitely ranks as one of my all-time fave military fiction novels.
By Thumper
Scary fact... the Red Wedding was based on an actual historic event in Scotland
By rockclimber
Shhhh,

Don't give away plot. But having said that, a link to the history see voo play?

One thing about a number of Clancy' later books is his use of coauthors. Personally that doesn't bother me and now that he has passed one can hope for continuing books?

Probably my very best friend is an ex boomer, it's kind of funny we were talking about the Clancy books the other day. he said when they came out with Red October they were all given extra security paperwork to sign swearing that they would not reveal if any of the book was true or not.

:ugeek:
By DarknLadyJedi
FastFive wrote:Sadly, there's enough grim human history to keep everyone reading for a lifetime. :roll:
I just started A billion lives by Jan Egeland. No need to go to history for grim humanity.
By Thumper
rockclimber wrote:Shhhh,

Don't give away plot. But having said that, a link to the history see voo play?
http://www.nerdist.com/2013/06/george-r ... cal-roots/
Nerdlist wrote: George R R Martin on the Red Wedding’s historical roots:

“The Red Wedding is based on a couple real events from Scottish history. One was a case called The Black Dinner. The king of Scotland was fighting the Black Douglas clan. He reached out to make peace. He offered the young Earl of Douglas safe passage. He came to Edinburgh Castle and had a great feast. Then at the end of the feast, [the king's men] started pounding on a single drum. They brought out a covered plate and put it in front of the Earl and revealed it was the head of a black boar — the symbol of death. And as soon as he saw it, he knew what it meant. They dragged them out and put them to death in the courtyard. The larger instance was the Glencoe Massacre. Clan MacDonald stayed with the Campbell clan overnight and the laws of hospitality supposedly applied. But the Campbells arose and started butchering every MacDonald they could get their hands on. No matter how much I make up, there’s stuff in history that’s just as bad, or worse.”

So, there you have it, folks. Turns out Scotland was a pretty terrible place to get married back in the day. No word yet on if Walder Frey has been invited to Kanye and Kim Kardashian’s wedding.
More background:

THE MASSACRE OF GLENCOE
In 1691, all Scottish clans were called upon to renounce the deposed King of Scotland, James VII, and swear allegiance to King William of Orange (of William and Mary fame). The chief of each clan had until January 1, 1692, to provide a signed document swearing an oath to William. The Highland Clan MacDonald had two things working against them here. First of all, the Secretary of State, John Dalrymple, was a Lowlander who loathed Clan MacDonald. Secondly, Clan MacDonald had already sworn an oath to James VII and had to wait on him to send word that they were free to break that oath.

Unfortunately, it was December 28 before a messenger arrived with this all-important letter from the former king. That gave Maclain, the chief of the MacDonald clan, just three days to get the newly-signed oath to the Secretary of State.

Maclain was detained for days when he went through Inveraray, the town of the rival Clan Campbell, but still managed to deliver the oath, albeit several days late. The Secretary of State's legal team wasn't interested in late documents. They rejected the MacDonalds' sworn allegiance to William, and set plans in place to cut the clan down, "root and branch."

In late January or early February, 120 men under the command of Captain Robert Campbell arrived at the MacDonalds' in Glencoe, claiming to need shelter because a nearby fort was full. The MacDonalds offered their hospitality, as was custom, and the soldiers stayed there for nearly two weeks before Captain Drummond arrived with instructions to "put all to the sword under seventy."

After playing cards with their victims and wishing them goodnight, the soldiers waited until the MacDonalds were asleep, then murdered as many men as they could manage — 38 in all, some still in their beds. At least 40 women and children escaped, but fleeing into a blizzard blowing outside as their houses burned down meant that they all died of exposure.

The massacre was considered especially awful because it was "Slaughter Under Trust" — sound familiar, Game of Thrones fans? To this day, the door at Clachaig Inn in Glen Coe has a sign on the door denying entry to Campbells.

THE BLACK DINNER
In November of 1440, the newly-appointed 6th Earl of Douglas, who was just 16, and his little brother David, were invited to join the 10-year-old King of England Scotland, James II, for dinner at Edinburgh Castle. But it wasn't the young King who had invited the Douglas brothers. The invitation had been issued by Sir William Crichton, Chancellor of Scotland, who feared that the Black Douglas (there was another clan called the Red Douglas) were growing too powerful.

As legend has it, the children were all getting along marvelously, enjoying food, entertainment and talking until the end of the dinner, when the head of a black bull was dropped on the table, symbolizing the death of the Black Douglas. The two young Douglases were dragged outside, given a mock trial, found guilty of high treason, and beheaded. It's said that the Earl pleaded for his brother to be killed first so that the younger boy wouldn't have to witness his older brother's beheading.

Sir Walter Scott wrote this of the horrific event:

"Edinburgh Castle, toune and towre,
God grant thou sink for sin!
And that e'en for the black dinner
Earl Douglas gat therein."
By FastFive
There's a ton of historical parallels in the series actually. Every time I see this discussion come up on a forum there are new links posted with more and more interesting bits.

7 Historical Parallels to 'Game of Thrones'

History Behind Game of Thrones

9 'Game Of Thrones' Moments That Actually Happened In History

There was one link I saw just a few weeks ago which was the most thorough I'd seen to date but I can't find it now. :roll:
By honora
Fast, I looked like that guy in the red shirt that I'm assuming was watching on his computer (2:05) - I was sitting there alone that night in front of my computer screen trying to fold laundry and I was clutching my panties the entire time! They went over my nose and mouth and then upper chest while I watched in disbelief. <<<Imagine a cam showing that! :lol: Totally agree about watching those kind of moments before reading because having it played out in front of you definitely makes a stronger reaction.
By FastFive
My two faves are the woman with the blanket by the patio door (starts at 0:49 then again at 2:51 and again 3:24 then once more at 3:46 - honestly, I was worried about that girls mental state after seeing that) and the older guy at 2:23.. "oh... oh no... oh shit.. really?" :lol:

But yeah, seeing scenes like that without having to read a "lead-up" definitely hits you harder. I don't really think there's anything else quite like that in books 4 or 5 though. At least, nothing that just rips you apart so brutally.

There's definitely secrets in the books that the series hasn't exposed yet though. ;)
By honora
So I have finished "Ready Player One" and I was really blown away by this book! (It has been a long time since I've had this particular feeling). I couldn't put it down and I finished it in 3 nights...

It's a futuristic scifi action book combined with a nostalgic taste of the past. Sorta like Matrix meets Goonies :D I cannot WAIT for the movie to come out now! Without giving away too much of the plot, it does consist heavily upon 80's movies and such, so I do wonder how this movie would get past the copyrights, but I'm sure Zak Penn will figure that out. As the case usually is, the book is ALWAYS better than the movie, so again I would definitely recommend reading this.
By FastFive
It's already on my 'To Read' list on Goodreads. :D

Unfortunately, so are a bunch of other books... and I've got a small stack of unread books next to me on my night-table too. :|
By rockclimber
honora wrote:So I have finished "Ready Player One" and I was really blown away by this book! (It has been a long time since I've had this particular feeling). I couldn't put it down and I finished it in 3 nights...

It's a futuristic scifi action book combined with a nostalgic taste of the past. Sorta like Matrix meets Goonies :D I cannot WAIT for the movie to come out now! Without giving away too much of the plot, it does consist heavily upon 80's movies and such, so I do wonder how this movie would get past the copyrights, but I'm sure Zak Penn will figure that out. As the case usually is, the book is ALWAYS better than the movie, so again I would definitely recommend reading this.
I'll second you, Honora it was a great book.

I loved the exploration of the virtual worlds themselves coupled with the virtual reality quest itself as well as the second quest in the real world.

Exploring the evolving emotional connections the characters made with each other on a purely intellectual level was fascinating.

At the end of the day, after all, it's what's inside that really matters.....the who we are at its most elemental level. But, we Do love pics too! Decidedly!

So a question, Book or Kindle? I like books, a lot, but I'm beginning to RE think. Most of what I read is on a screen nowadays..... A real book is an indulgence.... But "e" is so handy.....

I hope that doesn't give too much plot away, it's well worth the read!
By FastFive
rockclimber wrote:So a question, Book or Kindle? I like books, a lot, but I'm beginning to RE think. Most of what I read is on a screen nowadays..... A real book is an indulgence.... But "e" is so handy.....
I've been having the same "rethink" lately myself...

Admittedly, I'm a "collector" and a completionist. I hate having just a part of anything. When I find an author I love to read I'll often collect all their work. If it's not feasible to buy their entire library, then at the very least the entirety of particular series' they may have written. It's not a cheap endeavor, but it makes for a pretty nice looking library in my office at home.

A solitary Kindle/iPad on a shelf doesn't look nearly as impressive as "Hey check out my three or four hundred books!" :lol:

There's also still the old-fashioned part of me that hates 'buying' intangible items. When I buy a physical book... I own that book forever. When I buy something from iTunes, I 'own'... what? A little piece of digital code that says I can look at a particular book whenever I want to. When the world goes belly-up Mad Max style, or the zombie apocalypse is upon us, or one day someone detonates an EMP over Cupertino... what happens to all my books then? :roll:

Seriously though, the one thing that really irks me with the e-book thing is the price structure. Yes, the author deserves to be paid. Yes the editor deserves to be paid. Yes the publisher deserves their cut... but why does an intangible item cost just as much as a physical one? Hosting the data on a server is nowhere near as costly as producing, printing, packaging, shipping, storing, distributing, etc. a physical book.

Then there's the issue of portability vs cost when travelling. It's nice to bring a couple of books along on my iPad when going on a trip... a variety of things to read, and if I really tear through something and finish it while I'm away I can just download the next book on my list. But on the other hand, am I going to bring my e-books to the pool or the beach, and just leave it on my towel while I go for a swim? Not bloody likely. Nobody will steal a $10 paperback... a $700 iPad though? :roll:

Having said all that... I'm going half and half lately. Books that I'm "collecting" are still purchased physically while more random books that I see in passing that I think might be interesting to read are purchased through iTunes.

Ok, I'll stop rambling now. :geek:
By honora
Great posts (rambling as Fast puts it but we all still like to read them)!

Lately I have been getting the books I want to read with my Kindle, but now that I think about it, when I bring it on vacation (only time it's out in public) I do worry about it being taken. Perfect example, a few months ago I had it on the beach and placed it under my towel to go into the water but after a short while I felt like I needed to check on it or something, like I couldn't relax completely because I knew a valuable item of mine was just laying out there. It would have been different if it were a physical book. On the other hand, I noticed that when I do get an e-book, based on my selection it will suggest other books, and I have found a few great ones that I probably would not have if it weren't for that original e-book selection.

Sadly, a few big named book stores have closed down around where I live, in the past 5 years, so really if I want to get a book in my hand then I would have to go online. I was speaking with an acquaintance a few weeks ago who is attending college and she stated she has never had to step foot in the college book store to get her books for 3 years straight! And if she couldn't get it downloaded, she only had like 1 or 2 at most to buy at a bookstore. I remember standing in longggg lines when I was younger carrying 100 lbs of books with sweat rolling down my cheeks! (Seriously, one year everyone was sweating because the AC was out in that building).

I can only imagine what the world will be like 30 years from now when who knows; a paperback or hardcover book will be considered antique!
By Jess
I'm a book girl. I like having that thick, heavy thing in my hand. Kindles have their place, but why go for something plastic and electronic when you can have the real thing? :oops:
By honora
Welp Jess some of us just don't have that option to have a nice hard book when the immediate need kicks in... but when I get a good one in hand I'm ALL over it!

In the meantime though....
By Jess
True enough. And even with the best books, sometimes you have to lick your finger to flip the page.
By rockclimber
Jess wrote:True enough. And even with the best books, sometimes you have to lick your finger to flip the page.
Just lick the book, ladies, the pages will turn on their own........
By honora
Agreed, sometimes you also need to play around with the words, discover their depth :D
By Jess
Just like sometimes you want to read all of the Odyssey from start to finish...other times you just want to skip to the last chapter.

In my younger years, I even had a few mysteries where I woke up wondering "whodunnit"
By Jess
Now if y'all will excuse me, I have a bit of reading to do!
By FastFive
The way this thread just totally branched off at the end there... LMAO :lol:
By rockclimber
honora wrote:Agreed, sometimes you also need to play around with the words, discover their depth :D
Words, matter....

You're all "pun" atricious minxes and muses.... I'm inspired!
By FastFive
honora wrote:Lately I have been getting the books I want to read with my Kindle, but now that I think about it, when I bring it on vacation (only time it's out in public) I do worry about it being taken. Perfect example, a few months ago I had it on the beach and placed it under my towel to go into the water but after a short while I felt like I needed to check on it or something, like I couldn't relax completely because I knew a valuable item of mine was just laying out there. It would have been different if it were a physical book.
One other thing this just reminded me of...

More than once I've forgotten a book on the airplane. Long flight, tired, read a bit... nap a bit... put the book in the setback pocket, and then a few hours later, on my way through the airport, or already at the hotel... think "oh crap... my book's still in the seatback". :roll: Obviously with an iPad I'm more careful about where I put it down, and always remember to pick it up, but still, it could still be forgotten. Forgetting a $10 paperback is no biggie... just find the nearest bookstore, buy another copy and pick up where I left off.
On the other hand, I noticed that when I do get an e-book, based on my selection it will suggest other books, and I have found a few great ones that I probably would not have if it weren't for that original e-book selection.
Two options here:

When I buy physical books online (usually from Amazon), the more I buy the more my Recommendations page grows. I've found some good stuff through that as well. Also, when an author I read a lot of has something new coming soon it shows up there as well, so I don't have to follow individual authors websites just to see when their next book is shipping.

Also, I use the Goodreads app on my iPhone. It's awesome for tracking what you're reading, what you've already read, and especially useful for finding what you might want to read next. It has a Recommendations section based on what you've already read that can be divided up by genre too. My database has over 260 books listed already (not even everything I own) so if I'm looking for something new, but am in a "mystery" mood I can just look at that genre.

My favorite part of the Goodreads app is the barcode scanner. I can scan every book I've read and quickly add it to my Library. Even better, when I see a book at the bookstore that I want to read, but I've already got my arms full and don't want to buy it today I can just scan the barcode and add it to my "to read" section so the next time I'm out buying books I'm not stuck thinking "what was that book I saw last time that looked interesting?"
I can only imagine what the world will be like 30 years from now when who knows; a paperback or hardcover book will be considered antique!
I'll donate my collection to a museum. :roll:
By mrdangerous
I have to confess I prefer a real book to an electronic one. I prefer the feel of it in my hands and the small sense of accomplishment when I close the cover and put it on the shelf. An e-book just doesn't come close.
By Thinker
honora wrote:I was speaking with an acquaintance a few weeks ago who is attending college and she stated she has never had to step foot in the college book store to get her books for 3 years straight! And if she couldn't get it downloaded, she only had like 1 or 2 at most to buy at a bookstore. I remember standing in longggg lines when I was younger carrying 100 lbs of books with sweat rolling down my cheeks! (Seriously, one year everyone was sweating because the AC was out in that building).
I would love to have been behind you to see your sweat roll down your cheeks! Now you were naked, right? ;)
By Thumper
Wait...which cheeks are we talking about here?
By honora
Thinker, no but I remember wishing I was because of the heat!

Ha, i just re-read my last post and I meant she had a few she bought on an ONLINE bookstore. Would have been nice to have that option at least for the heaviest books!

Thumper, which cheeks would you rather see? :D
By mandadees
honora wrote:Thinker, no but I remember wishing I was because of the heat!

Ha, i just re-read my last post and I meant she had a few she bought on an ONLINE bookstore. Would have been nice to have that option at least for the heaviest books!

Thumper, which cheeks would you rather see? :D
Oh I know! :lol: :oops: :lol:

elklindo, don't confuse johnforbes with something […]

Committee Suppressed

As always, I present facts and evidence, johnforbe[…]

The role of Mr Forbes on this fine forum -- and in[…]

8th Amendment

Sorry, lenders do due diligence. When Clowntoke[…]

It is shocking that Clown is too racist to listen […]

"NEW YORK, NY — In a devastating blow for the[…]

" JAN 6 COMMITTEE SUPPRESSED SECRET SERVICE T[…]

Naw...they just do it......right Clown :laugh: