Discuss and interact with contributors and members about Private Shots.
By Thinker
FastFive wrote:It's not the racing style that is the problem... it's the unbalanced officiating.

It's how NASCAR often "encourages" certain behavior from it's drivers, regardless of safety or common sense.

It's the random Yellow Flags for "debris" that nobody sees... that seem to coincidentally be thrown when certain drivers just happen to be in the Lucky Dog slot.

And that whole rule (the Lucky Dog pass) is utterly lame... has been from Day 1.

Little things like that irk me.

Racing should be competition first, and entertainment second. NASCAR, on the other hand, is just one small step away from pro wrestling.
Now that you brought it up, err, excuse me while I.climb.on.top.of.this.soapbox.

With the ability for setting up a local GPS that is very accurate, I would like for all of the drivers to maintain their track position during the yellows. Yes, this would eliminate the lucky dog rule too. All it would take is for the drivers to have an indicator to show green when they are in position plus 10 feet, yellow within 20 feet, and red more than 20 feet ahead of their proper position. They could get a stop-and-go penalty if they are not in the green when the track goes green.

This soapbox is rickety. Can somebody help me down? Someone? Anyone? *crash* Oh, never mind! ;)
By rockclimber
Signal lag at those speeds may be a problem? I'll get you a step stool, lol!
By FastFive
Thinker wrote:With the ability for setting up a local GPS that is very accurate, I would like for all of the drivers to maintain their track position during the yellows. Yes, this would eliminate the lucky dog rule too. All it would take is for the drivers to have an indicator to show green when they are in position plus 10 feet, yellow within 20 feet, and red more than 20 feet ahead of their proper position. They could get a stop-and-go penalty if they are not in the green when the track goes green.
This already happen elsewhere in the world. It was basically invented a few years ago at the Dubai 24hr race, and has since been used at the Nurburgring 24, and this year was implemented at the LeMans 24 Hours and all other FIA WEC races. Yellow zones can be over the whole track, or localized solely to a small section of track where there was an accident or debris. Zero passing, and zero gaining or losing of position since any car in a yellow zone must strictly adhere to a specified speed (which is usually the pitlane speed limiter). Cars can literally race at 110% for almost the entire lap, slow down to the regulated speed for a corner or two, and then accelerate again as soon as they are clear of that area.
By Thinker
FastFive wrote:
Thinker wrote:With the ability for setting up a local GPS that is very accurate, I would like for all of the drivers to maintain their track position during the yellows. Yes, this would eliminate the lucky dog rule too. All it would take is for the drivers to have an indicator to show green when they are in position plus 10 feet, yellow within 20 feet, and red more than 20 feet ahead of their proper position. They could get a stop-and-go penalty if they are not in the green when the track goes green.
This already happen elsewhere in the world. It was basically invented a few years ago at the Dubai 24hr race, and has since been used at the Nurburgring 24, and this year was implemented at the LeMans 24 Hours and all other FIA WEC races. Yellow zones can be over the whole track, or localized solely to a small section of track where there was an accident or debris. Zero passing, and zero gaining or losing of position since any car in a yellow zone must strictly adhere to a specified speed (which is usually the pitlane speed limiter). Cars can literally race at 110% for almost the entire lap, slow down to the regulated speed for a corner or two, and then accelerate again as soon as they are clear of that area.
Thanks for the stepstool RC.

I'm brilliant! I thought of that before it was implemented. The NSA must have been intercepting my thoughts again!
By 327retro
Have to admit I got a bit lost with last years almost constant rule changes and this year I just said f it. I'll wait till the off season for the rules to catch up and tweaked. Usually takes a season or two for the dust to settle. Still NASCAR is one of the safest considering the venue they race in. Open wheel and that style has breakaway cages. Even the high speed boat racers have a breakaway bubble no. GPS is cool, still can be off by 1/2 a mile or so. I'm certain most of you know the satellites aren't owned by AT&T or Verizon but by governments.

NASCAR has sensors in there tracks every so often, the cars have there own beacon so to speak, that's how they get lined up again after a caution as well as determining that lucky dog. A rule I'm not fond of, soon to be changed I heard, I hope so. There are one or two additional rules many are working on changing.

Any racing is both physical & mental. It is a competition started back BC, runners, Horses, Chariots, boat you mane it.

Back in the day I was what ya'll call a street racer. Not many places one can do that no-a-day somewhat safely. Except maybe some western states.

Personally; LOVE every style of racing. I'm not real fond of people that are racing snobs.

It's a competition and most certainly is entertainment. Without the entertainment there wouldn't be any sponsors you would have to go to your local HS football game or find out where the local street race is going on. There would no advances in safety features, engine advancement would be somewhat stagnant. Sport medicine wouldn't benefited the elderly as it does now.

I'm somewhat glad that Kesilousy finally got the thumping coming to him. Bad form? Yes. But giving him a thumping of track is better than on track @ 190 + mph. Don't know if his spotter was asleep or he was overdriving his car and not paying attention to his surroundings. But he body slammed Gordon's car and took him out. Granted racing does have it's bumps & grinds. But tunnel vision & stupid is a young racers demise. I'm certain the fines will be flying and that he is already on probation from his last episode he screw up big time. Other than his teammates maybe he has a field of drivers that won't cut him any slack till well into next season.

A lot to digest from my 2X4 soap box. Sorry about that, hope even non gearheads will get some of the jist of my thoughts about the motor sport in all it's forms + others.

Some of us here actually did race in various venues. If I recall properly, Thumper was one.

Later ya'll.
By FastFive
327retro wrote:GPS is cool, still can be off by 1/2 a mile or so. I'm certain most of you know the satellites aren't owned by AT&T or Verizon but by governments.
That's why a localized yellow (or even full course yellow) with enforced speed limits is the perfect option. With the yellow speed limit set to a specific speed (like 60km/h) it's instantly possible to regulate everyone without GPS. For example, on a 4.84 kilometer long track, each lap under caution will take precisely 4.84 minutes. Any car that laps quicker than 4:50.4 can automatically be penalized for going too fast.

As an added benefit, this way of doing a full course yellow doesn't give anyone a bonus or take away anyone's advantage. Like, what if a car is just a few seconds from going a lap down when a yellow comes out? Not even talking about the lucky dog... that car (and any others on the lead lap) gain back the full length of the lap. Meanwhile the guy who's in the lead and has been fighting all race long to build a gap for himself loses all that hard work because of some random bit of "debris" that may or may not even have any effect on the race.
Some of us here actually did race in various venues. If I recall properly, Thumper was one.
As have I. I'm not coming up with armchair quarterback ideas here... I've been involved with racing on one level or another (driver, crew, official, etc.) for close to 25 years.
By Thumper
Racing....because baseball, football and golf only require one ball! :twisted:

Actually, I'm into sports of all kinds. If there's a scoreboard or a stopwatch involved, I'm in!

That said, I've never really been a fan of NASCAR. What finally did it in for me was when Tony Stewart confirmed my suspicions a couple of years ago. He called NASCAR the "pro wrestling of auto racing", and pointed out that when a crowd favourite driver is about to go a lap down, mystery yellows appear and allow the field to bunch up. And while I'm all for giving a good and true thumping to a shmuck who deserves it, I also have to wonder if some of those pit lane fights are staged.

The one great thing about oval racing is its fan-friendliness. You can see the whole track, and thus the whole race, from pretty much anywhere in the stands. That's just not possible on a road course. Also, road courses generally have large runoff areas for driver safety. NASCAR puts the fans right there behind the wall.

But still, being a bike guy, I gotta prefer the road courses! And if you aren't walking back to the pits with a helmet in your hand at least once in a while, you just aren't trying hard enough! I've left leather on the course a few times...its part of the fun, right?
By RCNCO
Here's one for you Thump,

The Indian Scout

:ugeek:
By 327retro
Very well stated and right on the money Thumper. Rock; nice little article, I'll have to reread it.

Recently I noticed that BC has some Gearhead in her. What an absolute pleasure it would be to have her perspective on the Racing, Hot Roding & Restoration scene.

For our Euro & OZ friends, I don't expect them to understand Stock Car Racing. It's strictly an American form started by Moon Shiners. The original intent of modifying & handling on back dirt roads has been somewhat (?) lost. The Roundy Rounds were a show case for all to see from the Shiners up to the Car companies. (long history short)

I'm not a racing snob. I enjoy every form of racing. I enjoy restoration, hot rods & motorcycles. I enjoy the free and open exchange of ideas and tricks to make a project go smother for the next guy or gal, regardless of make. That in my not so humble opinion is what this thread is all about. Or at least should be.

LADIES ARE MORE THAN WELCOME HERE TO GIVE YOUR IMPUT OR POST PICTURES. Natasha did a wonderful post a few years back at a GOODGUYS Rally as well as one at an Air Show if I recall. BabyCake (BC) did a superb shot with an old Ford in a cold snow filled field. Very nicely done BC, Hope your Ol' Man had some Blackberry Brandy for you after that shoot BC.

MAY THE RUMBLE STIR YOUR SOALS!
By BabyCakes
Happy 2015!!

And while I can't say that I know my way around engines or even have a clue what you guys talk about half the time...I'm badass at changing NOS bottles in the blink of an eye or helping hubby change parts on his race truck! Lol he's into diesel truck racing, 1/4 mile tracks.

We have an 08 F350 that's been completely overhauled into a race truck. :shock: That thing hauls ass! His best time was 10.1 sec, but he had to let off because he wasn't licensed to run under 10. Sadly, last year the motor blew...our programmer didn't quite have the timing right on the shifts and it didn't end pretty. Truck is done getting rebuilt, but hubby is thinking he may retire from the tracks and just use it as a "Sunday driving" truck. It's actually road ready as he races in super street class, which means the truck has to be registered and able to drive on the street.
By 327retro
Although I've been a diesel jockey for 40 years I've never raced toy diesels. (not a slight) Have been involved in the big rig 1/4 mile years back though, as well as driven triple digit rigs in the day.

I became aware of PU Truck diesel power at the mud bogs not to long ago and # 2 son showed me diesel drag racing a few months back. They have come a long way. I'm impressed.

Racing can be an expensive endeavor regardless of what venue one races now a day. For that matter so can street legal Hotrods.

Speaking of Diesel power, my son came across this daily driver Rat Rod. I'll try to put some photo's up here. Hope iit works.
By redback
Rolled into the depot after a big storm hit Brisbane. This is what I found.
Mine is the grey ute in the middle. My pride and joy.
Attachments
10609575_602658146529905_1856316903067638180_n.jpg
10609575_602658146529905_1856316903067638180_n.jpg (7.37 KiB) Viewed 120931 times
1525626_602651399863913_1980656989770989395_n.jpg
1525626_602651399863913_1980656989770989395_n.jpg (16.22 KiB) Viewed 120931 times
By Jbe
Rock, don't go and give Thumps any ideas about a vehicle with two wheels. Lady T will have your ass for that. Oh... maybe that is what you are after! :lol: :lol: :lol: Can't say I blame ya. :roll: ;) ;)
By 327retro
redback wrote:Rolled into the depot after a big storm hit Brisbane. This is what I found.
Your a big rigger RB? I had forgotten that you guys run trains down that way. Hopefully your truck wasn't damaged to bad. Looks like the white truck next to you may have save yours from becoming a compact car.
By 327retro
Jbe wrote:Grumps, I remember those pics Natasha did!

Redback... :cry: :cry:
I think I may have some of Natasha's Air Show and some or her Good Guys Hot Rod show pic's saved before all the computer crashes. Hopefully we can entice her to stop by and post some. Or get her permission to repost some. I haven't gotten to a good hot rod show in years other than a few small local ones. :evil:

If your lurking Natasha, what do you say little Hot Rod girl?
By FastFive
Anyone into racing diesels ought to check out the Dakar. The last few years have all been dominated by diesel powered beasts in the "Car" category, besides the obvious "Truck" category.

The current car to beat is the MINI... 3L twin-turbo diesel putting out 320 hp and about 590 lb-ft of torque!
By redback
327retro wrote:
redback wrote:Rolled into the depot after a big storm hit Brisbane. This is what I found.
Your a big rigger RB? I had forgotten that you guys run trains down that way. Hopefully your truck wasn't damaged to bad. Looks like the white truck next to you may have save yours from becoming a comopact car.
Of the 3 mine came out the best, the one on the right was a right off. The white one plus the roll bar in the back took most of the weight but it still took some damage. Insurance is doin their best to get out of payin for it so might have a court battle coming up.
That's a 15yr old ute, as you can see it was in pretty good nick for an old girl. Hope to get it back in shape soon.

30yrs of haulin freight of one kind or another in many types of rigs, most of them big. 4 yrs in the rig in the propic.
Attachments
10346378_603916123070774_9001183928640655781_n.jpg
10346378_603916123070774_9001183928640655781_n.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 120890 times
By 327retro
This is the Diesel Rat Rod I mentioned last week BC. Yep, that pump nozzle is the shifter.
Attachments
Diesel Rat Truck 002.png
Diesel Rat Truck 002.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 120886 times
Diesel Rat Truck 001.png
Diesel Rat Truck 001.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 120886 times
By rockclimber
That's a cool looking car retro,
Is it yours or friends?
By 327retro
Actually Rock, my son came across this while the guy was taking some photos. # 2 son chatted him up and took photo's of his own. (Yep we have another gear head.) I haven't had a chance to meet up with him yet. It is a pretty cool Rat Rod and Diesel no less.
By Skeetz
Grumpy,
Love the Rat Rod shots! Is that a Cummins in that old Corn Binder?
By Skeetz
Hey now, go easy! I happen to own one of those "Cumaparts"
Big Cam 400 in my '84 Pete. But I do prefer the Four and a quarter Kitty in the '03 Pete that I'm driving for my son-in-law.
By 327retro
Big cam 400 Cumapart was sweet with a 13. Four & quarter was the cats meooow, but they were very finicky if not set up properly. Along came the no nothing EPA and no nothing politicians that screwed some beautiful engines up. They not the engines should be castrated!!!......
By redback
Never been a bid fan of the cat personally they make good bull dozers.
But if I talk to loud I get my butt kicked, my daughter sells em. And your right 327, if you set em up right they seem to stand up fairly well.
I do miss my 525 redhead, she was a sweet donk.
By Skeetz
OK, you two are speaking in languages I don't often hear, here in California. Grumpy I can't understand because of years of listening to those Arkabamians on the CB. But Redback, I thought I knew what a redhead was/is but I get the feeling you're talking about something completely different. "Enlighten me please!"

You just had to bring up the EPA didn't you? Ruined my whole morning!
By redback
Skeetz wrote:OK, you two are speaking in languages I don't often hear, here in California. Grumpy I can't understand because of years of listening to those Arkabamians on the CB. But Redback, I thought I knew what a redhead was/is but I get the feeling you're talking about something completely different. "Enlighten me please!"

You just had to bring up the EPA didn't you? Ruined my whole morning!
A 'redhead' was a cummins with a red tappet cover. Personally I think your redhead may be better tho.... lol
By mandadees
I have to just say, Brady had his bacon saved with that turn over. The Seattle fighting was a new Superbowl low. I really wasn't feeling strongly for either team going in, but that was a terrible way to end a Superbowl. :cry:
By Skeetz
Oh Manda, you're such a purist! But I still love ya' anyway! What

See you for breakfast in the morning?
By mandadees
Pure as the driven snow!

Ha ha ha, tell my mother and sister that hahaha
By Skeetz
Oh, I am not getting involved in any family controversy, especially involving three hot women,(and I know they must be,) but wait, maybe I should be looking for an introduction! LOL
By redback
Skeetz wrote:Oh, I am not getting involved in any family controversy, especially involving three hot women,(and I know they must be,) but wait, maybe I should be looking for an introduction! LOL
3 women in your condition mate. You sure your not biting off more than you can chew. lol.
You better make sure your nurse is handy......
By Lothario2
Whoa... Grumpy... that diesel "binder" pic!! That is pretty awesome... but I'm wondering.. is it a D model or a later KB?
By Skeetz
Oh to be sure, my cyber nurses are very handy! (boff'um!)

But Hey, hope springs eternal! I figure that even outrageously sexy apples, (Manda,) don't fall too far from the tree, and Mom might be more age-appropriate anyway!
By 327retro
mandadees wrote:I have to just say, Brady had his bacon saved with that turn over. The Seattle fighting was a new Superbowl low. I really wasn't feeling strongly for either team going in, but that was a terrible way to end a Superbowl. :cry:
Manda I couldn't agree with you more. What was one heck of a game turned into armature hour with over paid players. What's up with that? Some wonder why common sense people long for the old days.
By 327retro
Lothario2 wrote:Whoa... Grumpy... that diesel "binder" pic!! That is pretty awesome... but I'm wondering.. is it a D model or a later KB?
As far as I know Lothario it's the latter. Number 2 son took those pictures and talked with the owner. He is becoming a bigger gear head than I. Only because of the new technology. He's taking me to school on this new stuff. But when someone lets loose of a neutron bomb old school will survive and big brother can't track ya. Thankfully he gets it. Never the less the technology is cautiously amazing. What's even more amazing he took those with his phone.
By Lothario2
Grumps... and here all along I've been trying to talk you into a used DSLR when a phone is so much more convenient to carry around... and you probably already have one! ;)
By Skeetz
Hey Grump are you still using that old Brownie Box camera with the viewfinder under the little trap door on the top? :roll:
I'm with you on the old-school attitude brother but you've got to at least get into the 20th century when it comes to picture taking. Sugar deserves it don't you think? (waving Hi to Sugar!)
By 327retro
Were in the 20th century already? Damn I have to get out more.

Hears one for ya'll.
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 120559 times
By Skeetz
No they don't Grump and you can't leave 'em shiftless now can Ya' ?

Sweet and clean little peekup, about an '82 maybe?
By 327retro
"83" three on the tree, moved to the floor. Bought it that way, I didn't move it. And yes surprisingly clean body, interior needs a little work but that's expected.
By 327retro
Can't let Gearheads get to low guys & gals. How about a blast from the past?
Attachments
wallys-service-station-57-chevy-big.jpg
wallys-service-station-57-chevy-big.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 120457 times
By Skeetz
Nice save Grump, that '57 is almost identical, (other than the fender skirts,) to the one I drove for my first Drivers License exam. in '61. Belonged to my cousin, and I had to talk like a Dutch uncle to get him to let me use it! But I sure wasn't going to the DMV in my parents '51 Buick Special four door, if I could help it!

Then about 8 months later I bought my own '57, first car with my name on the pink! Can't find a pic of that one but below is a Photoshop rendering that my RC friend Gloria did for me. It's pretty darned close to my "hot rod" '57!

Different wheels, but the color is pretty close and it's even the same model. Of course, I shaved the hood and added a little pin striping, and then there was that sweet 327, with the Duntov fuely cam and pop-up pistons that I dropped in it when the original 265 took a dump! Fast Motor Scooter!
2015-01-31 19.34.38.jpg
2015-01-31 19.34.38.jpg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 120448 times
Of course mine spent a lot of time in front of "Mars" Drive In, which looked a lot like Mel's but sadly, Gloria wasn't part of the eqiup't package in those days! Hell, she probably wasn't even born yet in '62!
By redback
Nice Skeetz, 57 was a very good year. Like to see the real one, pity you don't have a photo.

Thought Id throw in some nostalgia from Aus from the Bathurst 1000, 1979. hope you like
Attachments
10980738_829000247157812_7886648785799096789_n.jpg
10980738_829000247157812_7886648785799096789_n.jpg (36.07 KiB) Viewed 120392 times
By redback
and ultimate toy for all gearheads.
This baby don't let the grass grow under it.
Attachments
10514629_10152152623947595_4970854451443715644_n.png
10514629_10152152623947595_4970854451443715644_n.png (236.05 KiB) Viewed 120392 times
By Skeetz
Now that is my kind of gardening equipment! Is that a John Deere mill in that rascal

My son-in-law is a top John Deere salesman here in California, I'll have to ask them if they stock these at his store!
By redback
My brother is a JD mechanic over here. I might ask him if he can get me 1 too.
Altho over here with our BS laws Id probably have to wear a lid to do the footpath.....lol
Sorta spoil the look I reckon
Eaten by Indigenous Natives

Next thing you know, Joe is gonna go around tellin[…]

8th Amendment

Elkin, come on. You are smart enough to explore t[…]

Committee Suppressed

What adipose Milley heard is hardly germane. Who […]

Utterly absurd. Bill C paid 850,000 to Paula Jon[…]

We all remember that time Bruce Lee, who stood a s[…]

The role of Mr Forbes on this fine forum -- and in[…]

It is shocking that Clown is too racist to listen […]

"NEW YORK, NY — In a devastating blow for the[…]